Ceramic Mosaic Restoration
Chatsworth House, Game Larder
The game larder was built in 1909 to store game that was hunted on the Chatsworth Estate. However, following the introduction of modern refrigeration the building fell into disrepair.
The floor of the game larder is made of a ceramic mosaic that had suffered badly over the years. We were asked to restore the floor back to it former glory. This involved having the original ceramic tiles colour-matched and replacements specially made to ensure a satisfactory reproduction tile was reinstated.
Once the architects agreed the final colours we began to hand-cut the nibs into ceramic tesserae. A whole section of the floor was made in our studio from a scale drawing. This was then installed and all the additional areas of restoration were carried out on site.
A thorough non-abrasive clean was then needed to remove surface pollutants.
The game larder is now open to the public and being enjoyed by the visitors to the estate.